The Challenges Families Face
- Right now many young men are sitting at their parent's home in pajamas, their moms serving breakfast, while spending the day playing computer games, cooking up half-thought out business plans, or vegging out with a six-pack in front of the TV.
- There are also many are not living at home but are still stuck in low-wage jobs, depressed about their futures and using drugs to mitigate their stress and anxiety.
- No matter the particular scenario, the costs are huge. Parents with adult children living at home spend at least eight hours a week caring for them, according to Bureau of Labor Statistics’ time-use data. That’s causing real shifts in the time they spend relaxing. (Their sex lives are also being affected.) And women are spending significantly more time taking care of these young adult children than men are.
- We don't believe parents are weak and overindulgent, rather just without the necessary skills it takes to truly be effective in helping their loved one leave the nest.
- We are empathetic because real life "failure to launch" is a serious problem that causes anguish and despair in thousands of families every day.